Follow MC: facebook linkedin twitter rss Newsletter

So long, Heidi Godman … shame on you, Channel 7

I hear today’s Heidi Godman’s last day at Channel 7. heidigodman

It’s really, really a shame. I’ve heard from so many folks via email and in conversation who can’t believe how poorly Heidi and Monica Yadav have been treated. I hear Monica left last week. I like Scott and the weathermen and Linda Carson, but definitely this management behavior affects my desire to continue to view the programming.

Though honestly, I haven’t investigated this story much — so if anyone knows if I’m wrong on anything or has more information, please feel free to comment below.

For comments from the public already made, check out my earlier blog on this subject. http://www.mccoolidge.com/2010/04/16/is-channel-7-sarasota-absolutely-bonkers-cheap-or/

Posted on April 23rd, 2010Comments RSS Feed
35 Responses to So long, Heidi Godman … shame on you, Channel 7
  1. WHAT????? You mean Monica Yadov’s gone? I read your post a couple days ago about Heidi Godman leaving at the end of the month, but I thought Linda Carson was just filling in for Monica.

OK, that’s just wrong. She was the best thing about that station. And me with FIOS; I can’t even watch SNN now to get my local news. Although, in truth, the Tampa stations probably do a better job with Sarasota news than Channel 7.

Well, thanks for ruining my weekend……..

2. One-eyed …. I’m pretty sure Monica was kind of forced out as well. I don’t know the details though, so I’m kind of talking on air. Maybe someone can provide more info.

Sorry to ruin your weekend — thanks for reading, though.

3. This is what I heard from a very good source…The ownership there fired half their staff over the last two years including their beloved news director, Kay Mathers, and put the news direction into the hands of an absolute idiot with no journalistic background and hated by everyone at the station. So, guess what? The ratings sunk and instead of correcting the problem by firing the idiot “news director” they fired the two most loved anchors in town. The entire station is absolutely up in arms over this decision. We will miss you Heidi! This town won’t be the same with out you.

4. Thanks Dublin, for passing on what you know. It’s really dumbfounding to think this is what we’ve come to. I mean, this is a time when we need trusted news delivery more than ever. Does anyone know if they’ve hired replacements for either of them yet?

I wonder how the advertisers — the ones who appear during the program — feel about continuing to support the programming?

It’s hard not to think that it came down to something more to do with sex appeal, age, etc., I mean — I hate to be that suspicious, but I notice they didn’t let any of the main guys go.

If they bring in some hot young female reporter/anchor, then I guess we’ll have our answer.

5. I’m not sure I follow the ‘sex appeal/hot young female reporter’ angle. It’s not like Sarasota has a plethora of young males–or young anybody–longing to see a Megan Fox or a Jessica Alba interview the latest big winner at St. Euthanasius Fri. night bingo on the local news, esp. on a dinosaur like Channel 7.

In this town, in this demographic, Linda Carson IS the ‘hot, young female’ you referenced above. Maybe that’s why they kept her and let those other two young whippersnappers go……

Cougar, thy name was Monica.

6. I have been corrected on something: Kay left was not fired, but did leave because she wasn’t happy with the direction the ownership was taking. From what I was told this was right around the time Brad Griffith was let go, another excellent reporter. But my source wanted to be very clear, the problem there is the management especially the person acting as news director who has created a climate of distrust and anger. And to answer your question, the answer is yes. It appears a woman named Lauren Dorsett (spelling may be wrong) is being brought down from their sister station somewhere in the Jacksonville area. I have been told she is quite young and attractive.

7. So, the interesting thing in my mind is that I haven’t seen a spot of news about it in the Sarasota Herald Tribune, and maybe not even in the other weeklies around town. Did I miss it? It seems to me that two female much-loved reporter/anchors being let go in the same time span would be very newsworthy. Maybe I missed it?

One-eyed — I thought the same thing — it’s not like they need eye candy. Isn’t Sarasota supposed to be more sophisticated than that. But, I don’t know. Eye candy really does seem to be a driving force for television.

Dublin — thanks for the correction. I really appreciate you taking the time to help flesh out this story. And your “source” too. I’ll see if I can find anything on Dorsett. Thanks.

8. Don’t get me in trouble now! My source sleeps in the same bed I do!

9. Roger that, Dublin! 😉

10. I think I am becoming my parents, :) because I actually CARE about this. Monica Yadav was the only person on News Channel 7 that I could watch and listen to in the morning. All others pale in comparison. Some are worse than nails being drawn across a chalkboard. Monica is both professional and down to earth. I kept hoping that she was just on vacation. Enough said. I am going to have to switch back to cable.

11. I too, kept waiting to see Monica back. I thought Linda Carson was standing in for her. I searched the website, but got no answers. So I finally called the station and they told me that SHE DECIDED TO TRY “OTHER THINGS.” How disappointing. I guess it’s time to switch. I really like the weather guy…but Linda just doesn’t get me interested in the news.

Another one bites the dust!

12. Michelle — thanks for visiting the site and for adding your thoughts. It’s especially interesting that the station said what they said. That’s bogus.

13. There may be another angle on this. HD television has created a problem with some faces that seemed perfectly fine on standard definition TV. And it is going to get worse as broadcasters switch to 1080i from 720p video. Every little thing on a face is visible. It has prompted a lot of local anchors in other areas to have plastic surgery. There are even filters used by broadcasters to “soften” the image in the center of the screen. Not that this applies to any of the local talent but the fresh young face may be sought for just that. No wrinkles, blemishes or other normal signs of aging. It may shorten the normally long path for young people in the on-air talent career area.

14. Thanks for reading the blog, John, and for giving this new perspective. Honestly, I’d never thought of the influence/impact HD might have on anchors, etc.

15. There is a similar issue in Hollywood. Directors are asking for actors who have not had facelifts and Botox for new roles. As an example see Steve Martin in “It’s Complicated” with Meryl Streep. Looks like he is wearing a Kabuki mask. Expressionless actors are not what directors need.

16. Adrienne Anderson
    May 28, 2010 at 11:25 am

I would like to know where Monica Yadav went. I really liked her on the morning show.

17. Adrienne — I’ll try to find out and report back here. Thanks for visiting the post!

18. I’m a bit late Google Monica to find out what happened. Another missing in action (last year) is Wendy Ross. I emailed her and it sounded like budget cuts She has been and will be back to fill in. What’s up with these MBA’s?????

19. This is a time for connectivity, not divisiveness. My husband was recently diagnosed w/cancer, yet, with that on my mind constantly, still, I kept wondering what happened to Heidi and Monica. I truly hope and pray our loss is another station’s gain. Commenting on the looks of their replacement is a waste of the “Kings’s English”.

20. I am so disappointed that Heidi and Monica have gone. After all, it was only a few months ago, that the ads for the station featured the “veteran” news folks stating how many years they had been there.
    If they had to get rid of someone, why not the “doofus” who does the sports? And what was the scoop on John Scalzi’s long absence?
    I am glad to see Wendy Ross back.

21. My husband and I recently saw Lauren Dorsett with a very good looking young man (boyriend, husband?) having lunch at word of mouth. We miss heidi but enjoy her on tv. Seems like she’s fitting right in.

22. I saw her around town too but the guy she was with was in no way young. He was balding and looked like he could have been her father. oops. maybe he was :/

23. Ha Ha Ha! I’ve seen her with him too. That’s Geeeeeeary. My sister’s friend used to go out with him. Geeeeeeary! Ha ha ha!

24. Could be. All I know is he’s friends with that Repo guy. Not a good sign. But she’s new here, so I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt.

25. I, for one, think she should be spending more time with the young, good looking guy from word of mouth. I have seen him too and he is quite the catch. And she should take him somewhere nice, like mendy’s.

26. I agree with wise man. We should start a petetion!

27. I also agree with wise man… but more importantly I wish to defend Ms. Dorsett. I happen to work beside her and not only is she a ray of sunshine but she is actually quite intelligent and a wonderful human being. But yes, she should absolutely do something with the young good looking guy from word of mouth. It would make her feel much better about heself and her place in the universe

28. My husband and I just returned from an extended trip north. We also were puzzled about the change of news people on ABC. Specifically, Monica and Heidi. We will also be changing our news station. I was also curious about Wendy’s absence, now we know.
    So much for tenur as usual.

29. We moved to SRQ from Tampa three years ago and still watch NBC/WFLA “8 On Your Side” News. Gayle Sierens (and now-retired – by choice – Bob Hite) news anchors are what make their news so respected! Gayle has been with WFLA since 1977 (sports anchor) and is well-loved by viewers! Bob Hite lives in Colorado now, but recently visited Tampa and appeared on the news report as co-anchor. He too is very well respected by the community and obviously, the station. They’re both 55+, so if Tampa can garner such a following with these sophisticated anchors, what does this really say for channel 7? Heidi Godman is/was iconic and channel 7 made a mistake by not looking at SRQ demographics…someone please share with them the median age of its’ viewer is 50.5 (city-data)!!! If they were smart they would have brought the new in with the old (Gayle Sierens now anchors WITH Keith Cate). Heidi, when one door closes, keep on walking until you find a window:)

30. What a shame the way Monica and Heidi were treated!! Heidi was intelligent and very informative on so many issues. I know Monica, and she is a gentle, pleasant, woman who took on some tough stories. So they get rid of them and they bring in Barbie!! And they keep Linda!! She can’t read, or pronounce any word of more than two syllables, and she smiles when she reports anything serious! It is time for Bob Harrigan to have an eyelift–maybe they could cover it as a news story! He talks too fast for us to make sense of what he says, and he gives way too much information!! Just tell me if it is going to rain tomorrow! I agree with SRQ Mommy about Channel 8. The problem is that they don’t treat Sarasota as if anything of import goes on here. Get serious, WWSB! For some of us, you’re the main show in town!! Give us a quality product!

31. Dianne Corcoran
    December 2, 2010 at 8:03 pm

We were very sad to see Heidi and Monica gone from our news when we returned to FL for the winter from MN ~ also ~ where is Ken Jeffers?? Do we really need to turn to another station?? We hope not!

32. LOL Pam! They don’t have one MBA in their ranks! They are more clueless than you know!

33. I recently met her in person. That smile is so phoney when your face to face you can see right through it. I know some people who work with her and they tell me the same thing. Too bad. Heidi is such a genuine human being. Nothing phoney about her at all.

34. why is wendy ross still there? the way she was treating lauren should have been enough to get her fired. the program is amatureish enough without blatent, seething jelously. i am a middle aged woman, and guess what? there will be younger and prettier women than myself. i think lauren handled herself beautifully

35. […] So long Heidi Godman Shame on you Channel 7 Posted on April 16th, 2010Comments RSS Feed […]